Grow Detroit’s Young Talent (GDYT) is a six week summer youth employment program that combines work readiness training with on-the-job experience designed to prepare Detroiters, ages 14 to 24, for Detroit’s workforce. With the help of Mayor Mike Duggan and Detroit’s philanthropic and corporate leaders, we employed 5,600 in 2015. This year, our goal is 8,000 youth in meaningful employment.
How The Program Works
- Workplace Readiness – GDYT youth are prepared for the workplace through 12 hours of work readiness training prior to placement at a worksite and 24 hours of ongoing training throughout the summer.
- Youth Recruitment and Matching – Eligible young people are recruited through local schools, community organizations, and the city’s workforce development system. Youth are matched to employers based on interest, ability, and accessibility. Employers can interview candidates or allow GDYT Youth Specialists to manage the entire placement process.
- Youth Support – Youth are supported throughout the summer by their assigned GDYT Youth Specialist, who provides ongoing training throughout the summer and helps the young person have a successful summer in the workplace. GDYT youth will also receive bus passes to assist with transportation throughout the summer.
- Employer Support – GDYT makes the employer’s job easy by providing support to ensure success! Every employer will have access to: 1) Employer Training (live or webinar); 2) Employer Tool Kit; and 3) Employer Liaisons. The GDYT program also handles youth payroll.
There are three ways to get involved:
1. Become an Employer Partner and offer a six week work experience (up to 20 hours per week) at your workplace through a 50:50 match of $850. GDYT will manage student recruitment, payroll, work readiness training, and employer support services.
2. Sponsor a full work experience through a $1,700 Pledge to GDYT. GDYT will manage student recruitment, payroll, and work readiness training and match the young person to the right job opportunity.
3. Contribute to GDYT by directly hiring a City of Detroit youth. GDYT provides the options of helping you recruit and screen summer hires and offers employment support services, free of charge.
Will you help us grow Detroit’s young talent? Fill out the GDYT employer commitment form below.
The form below is for Employers only. If you are a youth please click here to be directed to the Youth Application