Grow Detroit’s Young Talent (GDYT) is a city-wide summer job and training program that employs young adults between the ages of 14 and 24 for a minimum of 6 weeks, typically 20 hours per week. Youth participants are permanent residents of Detroit and have completed an application and registration process to become eligible. With the help of Mayor Mike Duggan, as well as Detroit’s philanthropic and Corporate Leaders, our goal is to match 8,000 Detroit youth with meaningful employment and industry-led training opportunities.
How the Program Works
- Youth Recruitment and Matching – Eligible youth are recruited through educational institutions, community organizations and the city’s workforce development system. Youth are matched to employers based on interest, skill level, and accessibility. Employers are invited to interview candidates; otherwise, GDYT staff will manage the placement process based on the aforementioned criteria.
- Workplace Readiness – GDYT youth receive, at minimum, 12 hours of work readiness training prior to placement. In addition, worksite monitors provide boosters throughout the summer.
- Youth Support – Depending on the youth’s level of participation, they receive an hourly wage or training stipend, ranging from $8.00 – $9.50 per hour. Youth are supported throughout the summer by a Worksite Monitor, who provides encouragement and advice to ensure a meaningful placement. Participants also receive bus passes to assist with transportation, to and from their site.
- Employer Support – Every employer will be provided: 1) an Employer Orientation (live or virtual); 2) an Employer Tool Kit; and 3) a Worksite Monitor/Program Liaison. DESC serves as the employer of record and manages the youth payroll process.
How to get involved
- Commit to becoming an Employer Partner by sponsoring a paid work experience (120 hours minimum) at your organization.
- Commit to becoming an Industry-led Training Provider by providing vocational instruction (120 hours minimum) that yields unsubsidized employment and/or an industry-recognized credential/certification.
- Be recognized as an Affiliate Partner by directly hiring a GDYT-eligible youth. Program staff will assist with recruitment and screening, as well as other youth-related support services.
- Make a financial contribution to the GDYT program to support summer work experiences for Detroit Youth.
Won’t you help us grow Detroit’s young talent?
Interested employers, please fill out the GDYT Commitment Form below.